Monday, November 20, 2006

On The Road Again

At the gym on Friday I tried running on the treadmill. I made about 3 tentative strides before I stopped because of the pain in my calf. But on Sunday I managed 3 very comfortable miles on the track with just a hint of sensation in the calf near the end and a little soreness in the afternoon. This morning I did six hilly miles through the neighborhood without any discomfort or pain so I think that the calf is well on its way back to full health after only a week of layoff. It's funny that after only a week off my legs felt really dead yesterday and today even though I was training in the gym.

As a sign of faith that my leg would heal quickly I signed up for the Dallas Marathon on December 10. So now I have one more week of regular training before I start the pre-marathon taper. I signed up for Dallas so I could get two marathons in this season. Depending on how I feel and what the weather is like I'll either use it as a long training run or try for a good time. If everthing isn't perfect then I'll just take it easy and finish. I just want to get some more experience at the distance before the Austin marathon in February.

4 comments:

Sister Mary Lisa said...

I hope the calf gives you no trouble this next race...

Bull said...

Me too. I'll be taking it easy on it for the next three weeks.

Just one of many said...

I wish I could still run...spinal compressions!! Sounds like you are playing it smart! Are you doing the jingle bell run??? It is great...lots of hills

Bull said...

Don't know. We'll do that or the reindeer run.