Wednesday, June 21, 2006

My Mormon Reading List, Part 2

I'm looking at the top of my dresser and decided to list all of the books I've read in the last few years about the Mormon church.

Joseph Smith
  • No Man Knows My History, The Life of Joseph Smith, Fawn M. Brodie 425 pages.
  • Joseph Smith, The First Mormon, Donna Hill, 450 pages.
  • In Sacred Loneliness, The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith, Todd Compton.
  • Joseph Smith, Rough Stone Rolling, Richard Lyman Bushman, 561 pages.
  • Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith, Linda King Newell and Valeen Tippetts Avery, 394 pages. [I've included this book since Emma's life isn't well documented and is mostly defined by her husband. Much of the book is actually the story of Joseph Smith with Emma in the background.]
Mormon History
  • Early Mormonism and the Magic World View, D. Michael Quinn, 326 pages.
  • The New Mormon History, Revisionist Essays on the Past, Edited by D. Michael Quinn, 305 pages.
  • The Mormon Hierarchy, Origins of Power, D. Michael Quinn, 263 pages.
  • The Mormon Hierarchy, Extensions of Power, D. Michael Quinn, 408 pages.
  • An Insider's View of Mormon Origins, Grant H. Palmer, 263 pages.
  • Conflict in the Quorum, Orson Pratt, Brigham Young, Joseph Smith, Gary James Bergera, 285 pages.
  • The Mysteries of Godliness, A History of Mormon Temple Worship, David John Berger, 180 pages.
Book of Mormon
  • New Approaches to the Book of Mormon, edited by Brent Lee Metcalfe 433 pages.
  • Book of Mormon Authorship Revisited, The Evidence for Ancient Origins, Edited by Noel B. Reynolds, 539 pages.
  • Studies of the Book of Mormon, B. H. Roberts, edited by Brigham D. Madsen, 344 pages.
  • Losing a Lost Tribe, Native Americans, DNA, and the Mormon Church, Simon G. Southerton, 207 pages.
  • Quest For the Gold Plates, Thomas Stuart Ferguson's Archaelogical Search For The Book of Mormon, Stan Larson, 218 pages.
  • By His Own Hand Upon Papyrus, A New Look at the Joseph Smith Papyri, Charles M. Larson, 195 pages.
Haven't read yet
  • Joseph Smith and the Origins of The Book of Mormon, David Persuitte.
  • Differing Visions, Dissenters in Mormon History, Edited by Roger D. Launius and Linda Thatcher.
Out of curiosity I added up the number of pages and came up with 16 books totaling 5484 pages. When I initially realized the church was a fraud I felt a need to find out the truth about the church to counter all of the books and propaganda I'd consumed during the first forty years of my life. Through all of my reading I never found anything inconsistent with my conclusion that the church isn't what it claims and in fact found a mountain of evidence supporting that conclusion.

No comments: