Thursday, July 27, 2006

On Sabbatical

I was informed last night that my contract was being terminated immediately. Then a couple of hours later I was told I could work until Friday to tie up loose ends and help ensure a more orderly turnover of my responsibilities. It was nothing I did; the company let go all of its contractors for business reasons. It would have been nice to have more notice, but that's not the way it worked. I knew that this was part of contracting, but this is the first time it has happened.

I still have teaching contracts and some money saved up and several different prospects so everything should be okay. But for the first time in 19 years I don't have full-time employment.

Strangely enough, I'm excited about it. I have several professional projects I've wanted to start but haven't had enough time for. Now I can launch into those nearly full-time as I look for another contract.

2 comments:

Cyn Bagley said...

Good luck... :-)

Sideon said...

Best of luck, Bull.

If you're ever looking for work in the East Bay area, let me know - I have several employment contacts.