- Weekly long runs and increasing mileage since August
- 140+ miles running last month
- Taught a week long class in San Jose last week
- Ran a PR half marathon on Sunday
- Ran one of my last hard workouts yesterday: 8 miles followed by 6x200m @ :59s.
- Catching up from last week's class by working 60+ hours this week
- Additional stress of finding out my current contract won't be renewed at the end of the quarter so I need to find a new contract.
- Having to suffer through AmIdol audition hell while waiting for the real fun to begin.
- Wishing Heroes would move on a little faster instead of leaving me hanging every week.
I really, really can't wait for the marathon to be behind me so I can go back to exercising just for fun for a while. I remember feeling similarly at the end of last year's marathon season. Being on a long, disciplined schedule has its own satisfactions and rewards, but it can also turn into a grind and take the normal pleasure out of an activity.
Fortunately, I'm now tapering for the marathon which means shorter runs and progressively less mileage. I have a 14 mile run on Sunday, one more tough lactate interval workout next week, and a 10 miler the week before the marathon. The other runs are slow and easy and less than 4 miles each. If it goes like my taper before the Dallas Marathon I should be feeling pretty fresh in a couple of weeks. Or at least I hope so.